I was just reading an article on some tech or business site, and the story was that Facebook essentially doesn't know how to make money off of mobile users. The gist of the article was that if Facebook doesn't figure that out, it has a potentially crippling problem to deal with. The same goes for another giant in the industry, Google.
Now, at one point, it was mentioned that some well respected voice said that if this issue isn't addressed, both those companies could be gone in five years.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with that or not, but here's what I'm thinking about: that would be really crazy! Think about how huge both those companies are. Can we really even imagine what society would be like post-Facebook (ironic term, hah) or post-Google? It's actually harder than I thought to come up with what company or kinds of companies would fill the void.
This actually isn't about social networking economics, though. But that whole situation got me to thinking about the temporal nature of things. Especially of things we think are established. I realize that not everyone may have the same mindset as me, but to me, Facebook, Google, and especially Apple all seem so entrenched and on top of the competition (other than with each other) that it seems laughable that they would be gone or almost insignificant in five short years. That's one of the reasons Bing always seems a but funny to me. I'm thinking to myself: do they really, honestly expect to take on Google? Impossible. But, to stick with the tech company example, look at AOL. They were huge! Do they even exist anymore? Apparently they do, but...let's just say that their "clout", to use a word in the current vernacular, has waned.
Interestingly enough, I think that as a follower of Christ, this should not come as a surprise. I'm pretty sure it's said quite a bit throughout Scripture that the things in the world that we think are solid and permanent, are not. They always end. Possessions (Job), governments (like, the entire history of Israel), living situations (I bet the disciples didnt expect to leave work and home so quickly, if ever), even promises of men (Jacob and the whole situation with getting a wife or two?). Constantly, the only thing that the those people are able to rely on are the promises and nature of God. More on this later, but that's simultaneously a comforting and extremely terrifying thought.
And, I'm off.
P.s. Ironically, I typed this on a mobile app. Sorry Google!
Now, at one point, it was mentioned that some well respected voice said that if this issue isn't addressed, both those companies could be gone in five years.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with that or not, but here's what I'm thinking about: that would be really crazy! Think about how huge both those companies are. Can we really even imagine what society would be like post-Facebook (ironic term, hah) or post-Google? It's actually harder than I thought to come up with what company or kinds of companies would fill the void.
This actually isn't about social networking economics, though. But that whole situation got me to thinking about the temporal nature of things. Especially of things we think are established. I realize that not everyone may have the same mindset as me, but to me, Facebook, Google, and especially Apple all seem so entrenched and on top of the competition (other than with each other) that it seems laughable that they would be gone or almost insignificant in five short years. That's one of the reasons Bing always seems a but funny to me. I'm thinking to myself: do they really, honestly expect to take on Google? Impossible. But, to stick with the tech company example, look at AOL. They were huge! Do they even exist anymore? Apparently they do, but...let's just say that their "clout", to use a word in the current vernacular, has waned.
Interestingly enough, I think that as a follower of Christ, this should not come as a surprise. I'm pretty sure it's said quite a bit throughout Scripture that the things in the world that we think are solid and permanent, are not. They always end. Possessions (Job), governments (like, the entire history of Israel), living situations (I bet the disciples didnt expect to leave work and home so quickly, if ever), even promises of men (Jacob and the whole situation with getting a wife or two?). Constantly, the only thing that the those people are able to rely on are the promises and nature of God. More on this later, but that's simultaneously a comforting and extremely terrifying thought.
And, I'm off.
P.s. Ironically, I typed this on a mobile app. Sorry Google!
No comments:
Post a Comment